24 July 2010

Every so often Caitlin and I join together to have a craft day.It's usually on Saturday morning and we make delicious breakfast foods and coffee to start the day.We will work on just about anything--crocheting, sewing, jewelry, cardmaking, etc. By setting aside some time we are able to focus on a project and find pleasure in each other's company (plus a few more, like today when Beth and Katie joined us!).


Today this is what I finished. It's actually quite a long necklace, it reaches all the way to my bellybutton, but I pulled it up by my neck so you could see the enamel focal point. I am not very good at keeping necklaces symmetrical so I don't even try. I string on the beads in a way that pleases me--that could mean piling many on or just a few and then the other side could reflect or oppose to suit my eye. This necklace is constructed from freshwater pearls, jade, and glass beads. The medallion is a piece of pottery which has been painted with yellows, greens and purples; it is smooth and shiny. To me, it appears to be a floral motif, but I suppose it is ultimately just an abstract collection of colors. I enjoy the organic quality of the necklace and how it has weight, yet is still delicate. I hope you enjoy looking at it as much as I enjoy wearing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment