07 July 2010

We are running away....

Hello! I have made it back from my secret trip. Over the next few posts I will be recounting my special trip so please hold on while I chip away at it.


It was such a lovely trip. Four days and three nights of transportation--the metaphysical and emotional kind, not actual travel.


This trip was made possible (does that not sound like PBS commercial?), first by the creative influence of my cousin, J.R., and then put into action by my most caring and generous aunt, Debbie. Without her compassion and thoughtfulness this trip would not have been possible. I am blessed to have her think of me for such a special trip.

It all starts Friday....
I am rather anxious this morning considering I have my British Literature III final. Luckily, the night before I did most of the packing and only had the last minute items to tuck, or rather jam, into the full suitcase (considering I don't know where I am going I have to pack for all occasions, outside of the swimsuit and heels requirement). Then, I head to school early for my last minute study cram in the hallway. Boy did we cover a lot in the last portion of the class--three major periods leading up to the 20th century including British Imperialism, World War I, and the Irish conflict depicted through numerous pieces of poetry all leaching into one another. But, once those essays are out of the way, I quickly scoot out of the room (I was the first one done, even) and practically skip up the hill to my car! I was on my way...although I still do not know where.

Uncle Randy does give a bit of information away though as he hugs me upon my arrival. "Hope you have fun in California!" I didn't know if I should believe him or not. Is this a way to throw me off? Or is this truly my destination? Even if it is, California is a rather large state with many cities. My destination is still a mystery.

Finishing a few errands we zoom up to the airport, quickly scan our persons and luggage, making it to our gate with plenty of time. On a side note: I did end up having to leave a few of my miniature toiletries because I had too many in my ziplock bag. You will be missed tiny mousse.
We pack into tiny sardine plane for an hour until we reach Salt Lake City, Utah where we then upgrade to first class. Yeah, that's right first class. Flying in first class is spectacular! On the overstuffed seat lies a pillow and blanket. The armrest presents me with a miniature bottle of water (that made up for loosing my mousse to the clutches of airport security) and a pair of headphones. While we waited for the plane to depart music played--no, not elevator music, but artists like Holly Brook and even Jem. I knew I was meant to be there :) Our drinks came in a glass (I'm not talking that chinet shit from coach) and the stewardess carries around a special basket from which we chose our travel treat. Even the well-memorized travel safety procedures are not played out by the flight attendants with the fake seatbelt and oxygen mask, rather it broadcasts over the tiny tv situated in the backs of each seat (I watched "When in Rome" for this leg of the trip--it was pretty funny although a bit predictable. Once again the trailer gave away too much). Ahhh it is splendid.

We land. The secret trip destination: Beverly Hills, California (Kudos by the way for lasting this long without knowing where I was going. I'll still give kudos even if you skimmed through the first 6 paragraphs only to make it to this line)

A driver from our hotel picks us up and takes us the scenic route back to the hotel. We were staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Oh how glorious! The pink and green wash over me and the palm leaves covering the walls wrap me in luxury. Our room is cozy, comfortable, extravagant. I am taken aback by it all. It’s a bit overwhelming and I am even finding myself filling with tears. It is such a different environment; my heart feels weighted. Debbie, though, soon scoops me up and we begin exploring the hotel and then preparing for dinner.

The elevator doors open and we walk into the sexy Polo Lounge. We are truly spoiled by the service and food. We meet Nino, the sommelier, and quickly become good friends. The lounge is buzzing with people. There is a party in the back with many people coming and going and as we sit comfortably by the open window with a small candle casting a warm glow we curiously watch them pass. The chef sends out small samples of quiche, a creative selection of breads, and a simple, but classic, salad of tart strawberries, candied almonds, and peppery watercress starts the meal. Soon the waitress places a rectangular dish in front of me—a mound of jasmine-scented rice with a colorful stir-fry of sweet bell peppers, mushrooms, broccolini (my favorite!!), mild onion and chicken in a light sauce. We continue conversation over a decadent chocolate dessert as we wind into the evening. I am drowsy with the soft glow and rich food. Finally the chef wraps up the meal with an entremet of mango gelee alongside a strawberry marshmallow; it melts in my mouth.My head sinks into three, yes three, down filled pillows. A feathery, crisp white comforter floats on top of me and I drift to sleep. In the morning I look forward to exploring the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment