18 July 2010

The Ranch: Fishtail, Montana



I have a great deal of reading to keep up on with school and I found a pleasant place to dive in. I stretch out on a sunflower tablecloth Grandma Bev made, unwrap the sweet treat I stashed in my pocket, put in my headphones and begin reading.

I find the best spot under the willow tree across the pond. I walk around the edge and catch a glimpse of something dive back into the water, possibly a muskrat.I walk past the "suckie hole" as it is affectionately called; this is a culvert placed vertically into the pond allowing water to be sucked into it following an L-shaped path into the creek. I stop and peer into the pipe--a few sticks create a lattice affect catching leaves and algae in the branches. Continuing on toward the tree I pass the cattails bursting from the soft cotton. I spread out the cloth and rest under the canopy created by the extending tree branches. It's shaded and cool, which is only enhanced by the breeze. A small black bird comes close by to gather insects in the grass. The damselflies skim the very surface of the water. (Damselflies are similar to the dragonfly save for their characteristic wing fold. A dragonfly's wings will always lay out horizontal whereas a damselfly's will fold upright when resting)


The algae carpets the surface of the pond. It varies from vibrant green to gray to black. The bloom moves in thick masses attracting insects. When going to the Ranch the one sent that I always associate with this place is not the sticky cotton pods or the acres cut lawn, but the Pantene in each bathroom. The classically clean smell of the shampoo is so incredibly refreshing after lying in the sun. I remember as a small child the smell of the soap and so each time I return I look forward to cleansing with the milky, white lather. Do you have favorite smells that transport you, or you look forward to, when you go someplace special?

No comments:

Post a Comment