22 August 2010

Dress Dilemma Debunked

So as you could tell from my previous post, I will be working on a dress.
This weekend there have been sales at the fabric stores, so it seemed like the right time to pick out the fabric, but first I would have to choose the pattern!

I finally decided on the open back vogue pattern. I just like the bow so much! (I still don't like how high the neckline is, but after some consideration I will keep it and shorten the skirt to more of a babydoll length to make it flirty)

I then went to the fabric stores. I fell in love with some iridescent silks, but at $18 a yard (That's $72 for the 4 yards the pattern requires and that means no mess ups) I went with taffeta. It was terribly hard to choose a color, but after placing bolts upon bolts next to my face to try out the coloring I couldn't resist the cobalt blue. It is so striking! (Plus it was 60 inches wide so I only had to get 3 yards at $8!)

I'll post pictures as I go....
The zipper claims this color to be Yale Blue. I like cobalt better ;)
I also found this beaded neckline which I had cut from another top. I am going to see if I can add it to the dress!

3 comments:

  1. Oh pretty! I like Vogue patterns. Good fabric choice too; I have spent ages doing that exact same thing in the fabric store :) I feel like I end up walking around, back and forth, so much that the people working there think I'm stealing or something. Then I remember that it probably wouldn't be too difficult to spot someone with a bolt of fabric up their shirt, so they must know that I'm just indecisive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Coralene!!
    Haha I don't know, if you wore just the right mumu you might be able to get away with a bolt or two ;) Either way though there are just too many cute fabrics in the world to make a quick decision like that. I even ended up knocking over multiple bolts of fabric from the shelf as I was hauling around my choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that color is gorgeous, itll look soo gorgeous on you!! i love that bow and the cowell that you cut off that shirt too. i cannot WAIT to see it when you're done!

    ReplyDelete